Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Slipshod Slipgate




Here we go. It has been several days since our last post, and much has happened both good and bad. The bad first, to get it out of the way: 2 days ago we had brief internet access and Isaac checked his email. He got an email from his friends at work saying his game studio is shutting down and everyone is out of a job at the end of December (actually, they are out of work now, but get paid until December 31st). This is quiet a shock since everything was going so well and the company even hired several people right before Isaac left. Gazillion is keeping it's other studios, Slipgate Ironworks is the only one shutting down. Obviously there must be some reasons behind this drastic move but everyone just keeps telling Isaac that they will tell him more when he gets back. After the initial shock and requisite panic over money, we realized we will get by with my job and his unemployment check as long as we live frugally. And that's assuming the worst; that he doesn't get another job before the end of the year. Now Isaac is just really bummed that the job he loved and the game he was so proud of is ending so suddenly. Hopefully he won't be out of work long, more from a self esteem point of view then a money one. He really wants to stay in the game industry which will be more of a challenge now that he doesn't have a shipped AAA game credit under his belt; he did however make a lot of contacts and is very talented so I believe it will happen. We've seen many friends in worse situations get laid off and handle it with grace, so we will just try to follow suit. When we were on the Bolavan Plateau (more to come on that soon) our guide Udon heard the fourth member of our tour, a very nice Belgian named Fredrick, lament that is nice SLR camera was stolen in Bangkok and now he has to take photos with a crappy replacement point and shoot his entire trip, and lost some of his photos as well. Udon said that in Laos it is considered good luck to lose a material possession because then later you won't lose something important like and arm or leg. He said that especially on river trips Lao people try to lose a little something in the river! So that made me think of all the "bad news from home" emails we could have gotten, and this one was by far the best. So maybe this will save us from getting worse news later. Plus there is nothing like being in a country like Laos, where most people have lives that are so much more difficult then most Americans, to put how lucky we truly are in perspective. OK, enough with the sentimental talk...

On with the adventure!

P.S. Jim, Isaac showed me your email and I almost peed my pants laughing. Let's hope that you don't need to pass out your resume while wearing the eat AT(Kerry had to stop typing... she's laughing again... and almost peeing), "eat at Quiznos" sandwich board. If you do I hope it's not in the K-mart parking lot. I guess though if it is you and Isaac can take a break from your sandwich board wearing at the K-mart cafe. cheers! Thanks for making me laugh :)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I don't even know what to say. I thought this was a bad joke and kept waiting for the "just kidding". I am so sorry.

Unknown said...

I'm also stunned, I know the pride and hard work that Isaac has put in over the years. I hope that finding a new job is commensurate with his immense talent!

Unknown said...

I, as Lisa and Marc, felt stunned when reading this post...from a talent perspective, truly unbelievable, yet from an economic view; well, I've seen and experienced it myself, when circumstances beyond our own control impact our lives. Know this...you have MANY friends and family behind you, supporting you, and who will do anything for you!! In the cycle of life, doors open, doors close, and doors open again! I can't wait to see what bigger and better adventure awaits you at the next turn! You are, and will always be loved! -Dad-

Isaac said...

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words and virtual hugs out to all of you. I am very confident that I"ll be in great shape and will be with a company to make another great game, (and hopefully ship it this time ;), in the very near future.

:)